UCLA, History & AASD
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Ph.D., Stanford, 1985
Areas of Interest
Asian American History; U.S. 20th Century, Women's History, Oral History.
- Guest Editor, Amerasia Journal 26:1 (2000) special issue, "Histories and Historians in the Making."
- Over the Edge: Remapping The American West, co-edited with Blake Allmendinger (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1999)
- "Reflections on Oral History: Research in a Japanese American Community," Feminist Dilemmas in Fieldwork, ed. Diane L. Wolf (Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1996)
- "Redefining Expectations: Nisei Women in the 1930s," California History (Spring 1994): 44-53, 88.
- Farming the Home Place: A Japanese American Community in California, 1919-1982 (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1993)
- "Desperately Seeking 'Deirdre': Gender Roles, Multicultural Relations, and Nisei Women Writers of the 1930s," Frontiers 12, No. 1 (1991): 19-32.
- "Japanese American Women During World War II," Frontiers 8, No. 1 (1984): 6-14.